Fees and Rebates
Accounts are payable within a week of your consultation. Payment plans can be arranged on a case-by-case basis.
Mental Health Care Plan
Step 1: Talk with your GP, Paediatrician or Psychiatrist
A referral to a Psychologist through the Better Access program can be done by your GP, a paediatrician or a psychiatrist. Whether you require treatment under a Mental Health Treatment Plan is a clinical decision that will be made by your doctor.
Step 2: Contact Onwards and Upwards Psychology to make a booking
Once you have a referral from your doctor, contact us to organise a time for an initial appointment. To ensure that you are able to claim the Medicare rebate please make sure that you have the following information available:
- The name of the doctor who made the referral.
- Whether the referral was made by your GP, a paediatrician or a psychiatrist.
- The date of the appointment with your doctor when the referral was made.
- An appropriate and suitable mental health disorder described. More information on appropriate mental health disorders can be found here.
Step 3: Claim your Medicare rebate
The Medicare rebate for seeing a psychologist is a minimum of $84.80, but the rebate may be greater depending on your Medicare safety net. After you have paid the consultation fee following the appointment there are a number of ways you can claim your rebate
- Where possible, we will try to immediately process your claim so that the rebate is directly transferred to your account.
- Take your paid invoice to a Medicare office.
- Claim online through the Medicare website or through the Medicare mobile phone apps (see link below).
Please note: you will not be able to claim the Medicare rebate unless we have received an appropriate referral from your doctor.
Step 4: Review your progress with your doctor
Following the initial six appointments with your psychologist you will need to visit your doctor to review your progress and to discuss whether further treatment is required. A maximum of 10 individual and 10 group Medicare rebate-able sessions a year are allowed under the Better Access to Mental Health scheme.
Enhanced Primary Care/Chronic Disease Management
This plan entitles you to 5 Medicare rebate-able sessions a year. These sessions are designed for those with chronic ailments and see two or more allied health professionals. The process is similar to the above, wherein your doctor may write you a plan. The review will be conducted after the 5th session
If you have taken out private health insurance ‘extras’, you may be eligible for a rebate. Please check with your insurance provider for more details.
National Disability Insurance Scheme
Onwards and Upwards Psychology accepts self-managed plans.